Money: Save or Be Generous?


Me, as a child: "Mom, are we poor?"
My mom: "No, we're rich in the Lord."

Everyone has a different perspective when it comes to money. All of the time I am becoming more aware of how my husband and I's personalities compliment one another, and it isn't any different when it comes to money. Let's just say "compliment" is a nice way to suggest that we tend to be two different extremes in many areas of our lives. Using our differences to balance each other out is how we compliment each other. 

I had a friend that married a penny pincher, although she was loose with her money. One time while they were dating, he found out that she intentionally paid a bank overdraft fee of $25 for a soda, just because she had a craving and couldn't afford it. Needless to say, he had a rude awakening that day, but it obviously wasn't something that was to kill the relationship. Truth be told, they've been a great help to each other in learning how to spend their money wisely over the years. 

There's a beautiful balance that we should all strive for when it comes to finances. The simple truth is that I was poor as the hills as a single, but I loved finding creative ways to spend what I had, and even give it away. I also have to admit the uglier side, that I was not a saver by any means, and didn't prepare for the future when it came to money. My husband could say something of the opposite of his single years. He did an incredible job of thinking of the future and making wise money choices as a single, although he wasn't as quick to be generous. 

Even now we have these tendencies, but we keep each other accountable. I am beyond thankful for how my husband thinks ahead, because I know I, stupidly, haven't all of these years. I feel well taken-care-of, even though he gently reminds me sometimes that means not getting to buy everything my heart desires right now, even if it is a real bargain. And he'll admit that it pleases God when we are generous with others, and loosens his grip easier than he used to. I sometimes remind him of my friend's dad that paid for the group's meal anytime I, or others, went out with them growing up, which was quite a bit over the years. For some reason it really made an impression on me. He had money and was wise with it, but he saw it as a privilege to be generous and look for ways to bless others. Even now I admire his quiet, pleased smile whenever I would thank him for yet another meal.

The moral of the story is that we should be balanced with the money God has entrusted us with. It's not godly to neglect either side of saving or giving. Be wise: earn promotions, don't spend all that you make, save something every month, invest, think about retirement and your children's education, etc. At the same time, be generous: see giving as a gift from God, and pray about how much to give to certain causes. 

"The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." -2 Corinthians 9:6-7

Comments

Popular Posts