Homemade Croutons


I had no idea how easy homemade croutons are to make. I used to go to Ruby Tuesdays just for their homemade croutons; they are so delicious! It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I had some pretzel buns I needed to use up that I considered making my own for our salad that night. Let's just say they ended up being the star of the meal, and they took the shortest amount of time of everything to make. 

*I used a mixture of sandwich bread and hamburger buns for this picture, simply because it's all I had on hand. But I still think they look nice on the salad. And, no, that's not whiskey I'm serving with the salad; it's a homemade lemon vinaigrette in a repurposed bottle ;)

Homemade Croutons
  • dice bread into 1 inch cubes (however much you want, any kind, no matter if it's stale or not, and you don't even need to remove the crusts)
  • put in zip lock bag
  • drizzle with olive oil (don't soak them) and shake
  • put on cookie sheet
  • sprinkle with cracked pepper, salt and garlic powder
  • put in 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes, stir part-way through
  • serve
These end up actually letting your fork pierce them, as opposed to the store bought kind. They are crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Play with the spices and see what might taste good with different meals.

Comments

Popular Posts