Potluck Beans, Mexican Style


I never thought I'd use this blog to post recipes, but the fact is that I love to cook and learn about cooking. So, why not? This bean recipe is seriously good. The other night my carnivorous husband and I sat down to it as a side dish and kept going for seconds. He remarked, "I can see how people are able to eat beans as a main dish now." I agreed. This recipe was inspired by a Rick Bayless recipe I saw on tv, but I added some of my own flare.

Potluck Beans, Mexican Style


  • 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (I attempted to fire roast my own, but it turned out rather watery, and had to be cooked down for a while. I'll probably just buy the can next time, although this is an option in a pinch.)
  • a couple slices of thick sliced bacon, chopped 
  • 1 chipotle' pepper, diced (from a can, only use half a pepper if you don't like spicy food)
  • 1/4 onion, diced 
  • a couple of teaspoons of diced garlic
  • small can of green chili peppers
  • 2-3 cans of beans, your choice (I used butter beans and cannellini)
  • might need some salt, taste it first
  • a couple of dashes of liquid smoke (this is the kicker that I added - such rich flavor!)
  • cilantro to garnish
Saute' the bacon and onion. Add everything else and simmer until a nice thick consistency. Serve with cilantro garnish.

*Obviously, I eyeball a lot when it comes to cooking. You'll have to work with it to see what taste you prefer, and what to add or leave out. 

Comments

Popular Posts